Thursday, July 5, 2012

Summer Fun

I've just been having a lot of fun lately.

Don't worry. I'm still working every day, but these past few evenings, I've just been able to enjoy time with friends. It's been really nice.

My roommate, Leah, and I discovered that we both LOVE stuffed crust pizza, yet we never get it because most of our friends and family hate the stuff. So, what are two girls to do? By all means, get the stuffed crust pizza!!! We found a Pizza Hut in nearby Racine and ate to our hearts' content. We couldn't decide whether to get supreme or pepperoni, so we thought ourselves pretty clever when we decided to get half and half and each take two pieces of each kind. Smart, huh? =D Here's Leah with our leftovers which we saved for dinner the next day.


Leah is preparing for a missions trip to China, so we decided to go to Walmart to pick up some supplies. We wandered for awhile looking for random things, such as baby wipes and flash drives. Good times.

Please be praying for Leah. She leaves for China on Saturday. She will be teaching ESL to Chinese students and living with a Chinese family. Hopefully, she will be able to share the gospel and be an amazing testimony for Christ. I know she would appreciate your thoughts and prayers.

To round out our night, we spent some much needed time at Starbucks and then browsed Barnes & Noble, noting all the books we want to read but never have time for. Sigh.






Tuesday night, I went to a patriotic service with Gayle and the ladies that live in her house. We sang patriotic songs, read verses, and listened to a devotional. There was a fellowship afterwards, and then we sat in the church parking lot, waiting for the fireworks to start. I'm a little spoiled. After seeing Disney's fireworks, I'm a bit dissatisfied with any other fireworks. But I had so much fun watching the residents enjoy them. They "oohed and aahed" loudly over each and every one. So precious.

Wednesday was of course, July 4. Union Grove has a parade on the 4th, and Shepherds always participates with their own float. Their float won second place this year. Their theme had to do with marching bands and classic musicals, so a few residents were picked to ride in the truck as a marching band. We have a volunteer group here this week, and they dressed up as characters from different classic American musicals and walked alongside the truck. They highlighted Grease, Oklahoma, and the Newsies. I was kind of jealous. It would have been fun to dress up like a musical. But then, I realized it was 105 degrees, and I laughed. Have fun with that, kids!


























Instead, I got some sun and hung out with my friends Gayle and Corrie. Win!

I got a bit of flack for wearing my 2011 World Series Champs t-shirt in Brewer Country. I can't imagine why! =D


After reviving ourselves from the heat, I spent the afternoon with the Cayton house ladies. They've been so sweet to me during my time here. They've let me hang out at their house, eat dinner with them, tag along to their patriotic service, etc. I wanted to do something special for them, so I bought some craft supplies, and we decorated canvas bags. They really loved it! And they did such a beautiful job. Faith also got to join us, which made me happy. I love that sweet girl!


Here's my creation for my baby girl. Miss her so much!


Also, I watched real T.V. for the first time in over a month last night. We have a T.V. with cable here, but for some reason, I forget about it. I think it's because the furniture out in the living area is not the most comfortable in the world, but nevertheless, I caught Sleepless in Seattle and NCIS yesterday!

And tonight......it rained!!!!!!! Not very much, but I'll take what I can get. I feel like I haven't seen rain in forever. I was about to go out and play in it, but it stopped before I could get out there. Figures. Oh, well. Maybe I'll catch it next time.

2 comments:

  1. ahh do not complain about the weather. we ll have weeks of rain in October and November which usually come with a side dish of depression:( plus, up there must be a bit cooler than here in alton.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, it's not much cooler at all. We've reached a high of 105 degrees the past two days! And I kind of like rain. As long as I'm not walking in it while wearing jeans. =D

      Delete