Sunday, June 17, 2012

The First Boy I Ever Loved

I took a walk today. The weather was lovely, and I enjoyed getting some exercise. Brian, one of the residents at Shepherds, stopped me during my first lap. You see, Brian loves to chat, and he loves to ask questions. So, if you get stopped by Brian, expect to be tied up for awhile. =D

We talked about lots of different things, but just before I went on my way, he asked an important question.

"Did you call your dad?"

At first, I wondered why on earth he cared whether or not I talked to my dad. Then, it clicked: Father's Day.

I assured him that I had called my dad, and he seemed satisfied. I asked him if he had called his dad. Brian shook his head.

"I don't have a dad," he said.

My heart broke for him. Here's a guy that was so concerned about me calling my dad on Father's Day, yet he didn't even have a father to call. I wasn't sure how to respond.

When I continued my walk, I spent a lot of time thinking about fathers. There are so many people in this world who don't have a father for one of many reasons. Maybe their father passed away. Maybe their father left the family. Maybe they don't even know who their father is. It's a sad and terrible thought. My heart hurts for those people.

But God has given me a father. I am so blessed to have my dad. He is such a special guy. He has given me more than I could ever list. Yet so many times, I take him for granted. Why is that? Why do we so often treat our most meaningful relationships so flippantly?

Well, today I want to show true appreciation for my father and the role he plays in our family. So, I made a list:

#1 - I love my dad because he likes to kid around and be goofy.


Dad likes to tell jokes (even though they may be corny), tickle us, irritate us by wearing his "Carl" glasses (think "Up," folks), and pretty much do just about whatever it takes to make us laugh. He likes to have a good time and see us happy. I like it when he's successful at making us laugh because you can see that makes him happy. He gets a little smile on his face that seems to say, "See that! I was funny!" I'm chuckling just thinking about it. And laughter is a huge part of our family, so keep making us laugh, Dad!


#2 -  I love my dad for his love of sports.


I'm pretty sure without Dad I never would have developed a love for baseball and basketball. I love it that there is almost always a sporting event playing on the TV at our house. My love for the St. Louis Cardinals and college basketball can definitely be tracked back to my parents. I love that we go to games and also enjoy playing these sports together. I love that we share the same competitive spirit. However, the boys in my family are still working on developing my love for football. The way I see it, the only thing football is good for is the background noise for my Sunday afternoon naps. =D

#3 - I love my dad for taking our family on fabulous vacations.


My siblings and I are spoiled. Seriously. We are so lucky to have parents that love to take vacations. A lot of families can't or don't want to take vacations, but we make them one of our highest priorities. You see, some of our best memories have been made on our vacations, and I believe our family is as close as we are because of the time we spend with just one another.


I hope when I have a family of my own that I can continue to apply our family's vacation philosophy. I want my future family to be as strong and as close as ours is. Thank you, Mom and Dad, for giving us the opportunities to explore new things, develop a love for travel, and knit together a strong family bond that will continue throughout the rest of our lives.


#4 - I love my dad for his calm, easy-going personality.

Dad is so patient with all of us. He rarely gets truly and completely mad. He is calm and gentle, tender-hearted and caring. He wants to give us the very best, and he deeply cares about what's going on in our lives. He will drop everything to come fix my car battery or pick me up and take me to class when I'm stuck at Panera (long story). He's just a go-with-the-flow kind of guy.

It's kind of hard to post pictures to show this trait because really in most of his pictures, Dad's pretty even-keeled. But I thought his easy-going trait would go along well with the idea that he's able to roll with the punches and take on our family's incessant teasing with a good amount of grace.


Because after all, when you and your son end up with the same pajama pants on Christmas morning or you happen to be mistaken for Buddha while in China, what else are you going to do, but laugh?


#5 - I love my dad because he LOVES his family.

 

Dad works to make money for us. He does the up-keep on our house. He fixes our cars. Have I mentioned the man knows how to fix just about everything (which is relieving and frustrating all at the same time)? He helps with homework. He takes us to church. He pays for us to go to school. He takes us on trips. There are a bunch of other things I could add, but you get the idea, right?


 My dad is also a godly man, which is the most important quality of all. He is constantly trying to grow in the Lord, and he encourages us to do the same. Just recently, my dad started doing a Bible study with my younger brother. It melts my heart when I walk past Ben's bedroom and I see them studying the Word together. It's really something special.



My dad loves my mom, and my parents provide a fantastic example to my siblings and me of how a marriage should work. We are so blessed to have them and to be able to learn from them. I pray all four of us will work hard to mimic their pattern.


So, thank you, Dad, for all this and more. I am so thankful God gave me you. Love you, Dad!


6 comments:

  1. Oh my, Megan, that is such a sweet and wonderful tribute to your dad. You're right, there were parts that made me laugh and other parts that brought a tear to my eye.....he is a super dad for sure (and son).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Gramma Sue asked me if I had read this blog and somehow I had missed it as I've been somewhat 'busy' these last two months. So I just did read it and she's right, it's so touching. You do have a wonderful dad - and MOM! Just a neat family. That is so much to be thankful for right there!!! And they have beautiful Megan in their life. Diana W.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you have been busy! I hope you are doing well. I'm glad you liked the post. I certainly do have a wonderful family!

      Delete
  3. your dad puts the standard this high( pointing to the ceiling) for how a father should be.

    ReplyDelete