Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Something Special

You know that moment when something in your brain clicks and you realize, "Oh, so this is what life's really about,"? There are a lot of those moments just waiting to happen here at Shepherds.

Anyone who has visited, volunteered, or worked at this place knows how true that statement is. You never stop learning when you're here. You never stop being amazed. Your heart never stops growing in love.

I've experienced these moments multiple times during my last few days here. But today was a big one for me. Shepherds held a Baccalaureate Service for the 2012 Shepherds College graduates. This service was designed primarily for the Shepherds family here on campus. It gives all of the residents a chance to celebrate with the students and honor them for their jobs well done.


This service was a sweet and tender time. I videotaped the service for Shepherds, so I couldn't get too wrapped up in the emotion of the moment, but as I look back on today, my heart swells.















I watched a dear second year college student bathe the graduates in prayer.








I listened to the Shepherds Handbell Choir perform two beautiful, poignant songs.









I sang along as one of my Shepherds friends, Dennis, led the audience in his favorite hymn.













I sat in amazement as a Shepherds resident used her God-given talents to provide a personal poem and special music.
 




I held back the tears as I watched several Shepherds residents take the stage alongside the graduates and bless them in prayer.
 








 

And I smiled as I looked out on the audience and saw this amazing group of people that wanted nothing more than to be there to support the graduates as they take the next step in life's journey.









And then, I had the "click" moment. This is one of the things that life's about. Encouraging others, uplifting them in prayer, being immeasurably happy for others.

I feel very convicted. How often do I really take the time to encourage others, pray for them, or just be happy for them? Not that often. I spend much more time thinking about myself or doing things for myself.

Store these "click" moments up. They're something special. Don't take them lightly. Appreciate them, meditate on them, and ACT on them. Keep your heart tender to these revelations because after all, if we don't have our "click" moments, how will we ever learn anything of value?



*All photos are courtesy of Shepherds Ministries. If you would like to see more pictures of what I experienced today, please click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment