Sunday, June 24, 2012

Up to Speed

For you faithful followers out there who check my blog regularly, I apologize. I haven't done a very good job of posting lately. And not to make excuses, but I have been busy nearly every night this past week. So, anyway, here's what I've been up to:

This past week, I've been doing a lot of interviewing. I'm working on several projects right now, and most of them require me to interview different people here on campus. Last week, I interviewed several of the key people who were crucial in the start-up and development of Shepherds College. I'm trying to really understand the history of the college, so I can piece together a timeline that can be used as a reference document by the marketing department and others.

I've also been interviewing Shepherds College faculty members. I will be writing their biographies, and these will be posted on the college website as references for potential students and their families. Sorry if I've already written about this. I can't remember if I've shared that information before or not. Oh, well.

Last Thursday night, I had a very unique interviewing experience. I will be writing a story for a Shepherds newsletter about the night staff here at Shepherds, so Thursday night, I shadowed two of the ladies, interviewed them, and got a small taste of what it's like to do their job. I didn't make it all night with them, but I observed long enough to experience the true servant's hearts of these amazing ladies.

Not many people would be vying for this particular job. They work all night long. They provide care to residents who need it in the middle of the night, maybe multiple times a night. They do basically whatever tasks need to be done before the next day: laundry, sewing, cleaning, etc. But here's the thing: they love what they do, and they have a very special connection with the residents. I think the residents know that everything will be okay at night because these ladies are watching out for them, making sure they are safe and helping them with whatever they might need.

I feel blessed to have been able to meet these women, and I look forward to Monday night when I will shadow them again.

The Shepherds College blog has also taken up a significant part of my time. Thankfully, we were able to write a post every day last week. We've started three weekly segments that will hopefully build interest. Please pray that this blog will be shared by many and will reveal a new way to reach our target audience. Also, for those of you who may not know, you can easily follow the Shepherds College blog or my blog by using an account with Google or signing up to receive posts by e-mail. Hint, hint. =D

I've also been observing tours, so I can learn how to give one. Becci, the director of ministry partnerships, usually gives the tours, but I will be filling in for her this week. I'm giving my very first tour tomorrow morning, so be in prayer for me. I want to give the best impression I can while also making it fun and informative.

Whew! I'm exhausted just writing about all of this. Well, it hasn't been all work, though.

We didn't have Bible study on Tuesday night, so my roommate Leah, our friend Kaitlin, and I headed to Starbucks. Spur of the moment, we also decided to hit the beach along Lake Michigan. It was lovely, and I hope I go back again when the sun's out and it's a little bit warmer.





Wednesday, my wonderful supervisor, Susan, took me out to lunch at one of the local eateries in the area. It was delicious, and I plan to go back again before I leave. That night, Leah and I decided to go out to Olive Garden. We share a love for Italian food, so we enjoyed ourselves immensely. And we had a coupon! Great news for poor college students like us! So, overall, Wednesday was a great food day for me. =D What's not to love?

On Thursday and Friday, I experienced a real game of bocce ball for the first time. Let me tell you, bocce ball is big stuff up here, and most Shepherds residents are crazy about it!



Shepherds has three Special Olympics bocce ball teams, and they've been practicing the last few nights. They're pretty good, and they have so much fun.



They even let me try my hand at it on Friday. Unfortunately, I'm not very good at all. David doesn't think I'm going to make the team. =D


But David was so, so sweet. He cracks me up! Every time it was his turn to throw the ball, he'd turn to me and say, "Now, watch this, Meg." And if it was a good throw, he'd say, "We did it, Meg!" even though, I had absolutely nothing to do with it at all. Such a dear.

Also on Friday, my sweet Gayle asked me over to dinner. Her "house mom" made us hamburgers and corn on the cob. I truly enjoy all the ladies in the Cayton House. They are such sweethearts! They've already invited me to go with them to their Fourth of July celebration. I'm pretty excited!




Gayle and I are working on her letters. Her goal is to learn how to read, so she can read the Bible. Doesn't that just melt your heart? I believe she can do it, but I don't have much time left with her before I leave. Please pray that someone will be able to take the time to continue working with her once I'm gone.


Well, I think that about covers everything. Now, you're all caught up on the happenings. And I need to go catch up on my ironing...

No comments:

Post a Comment