Thursday, June 7, 2012

A Little Bit of Everything

I'm pretty sure the definition of "intern" includes some sort of clause about doing just a little bit of everything around the job site. You definitely have to be up for whatever task may arise. This is why I can't really think of a concise theme that fully sums up my day because honestly, I did a little bit of everything.

Please don't misunderstand me. I'm not complaining. You see, no matter what job I'm doing, I'm getting the chance to spend more time at Shepherds. And the more things I get to do at Shepherds, the more I get to meet and interact with the people here. I don't want to turn down any job that may come my way because I enjoy whatever it is I'm doing simply because I get to be at Shepherds. So, bring it on!

Today, I observed a rehearsal for the graduation ceremony on Saturday. And while observing, I gained the job of holding the door for the processional and recessional. It's actually pretty cool because I get a behind-the-scenes look at the students, faculty, and graduates as they prepare to enter the auditorium and as they exit once the ceremony is over. You wouldn't believe the difference in emotions between these two moments!

Even at practice, several of the students struggle with anxiety, frustrations, and fear. It bothers many of them to deviate from their daily routine, and this last week has grated on all of them as they faced finals and last-minute packing. Before they head into the auditorium, some of the students are tense. They may walk very fast to get it over with, even though you tell them to slow down several times. Some of these students just don't enjoy being in the spotlight.

But when they come back out after everything's all over, the smiles are enormous! This is just a rehearsal, but I think they're beginning to taste the sense of accomplishment that they will fully experience on Saturday.

When the rehearsal concluded, I was able to interview the seven graduates for some stories I may be writing. This was great for me. I got to ask them anything I wanted, and they loved to be interviewed. I found out what they want to do after graduation, what they will miss at Shepherds, their most important lesson learned at Shepherds, and how they feel they've changed during their time at Shepherds.

That last question was probably the most revealing to me. Hearing what the students thought of themselves when they first entered Shepherds College program and how they think of themselves now was a tremendous difference. It showed me what this program does. It transforms lives. It touches hearts. It leads souls to Christ.

I also helped out with a PowerPoint this afternoon. It displays photos of the grads during their time here, along with their baby pictures and their life verses. I know the students and their families will really love seeing this presentation play before the graduation.

And I did some reading. I've spent a lot of time reading these last few days. Before I do any writing for Shepherds, I am required to read the Shepherds College Marketing Plan and a document on Appropriate Independence. Both of these documents provide fabulous background information on Shepherds and really help me find the proper tone and voice that I will need when writing for them. They've been very insightful.

So, that's about it. Please continue to pray for me. I can use every little bit I get!

No comments:

Post a Comment